Tuesday, April 25, 2006



Will we get a decision in the death penalty case for Moussaoui today? I must say that I'm a little scared about this. On the one hand, it will be nice to be able to go to work without tripping over news crews and camera trucks, but at the same time, I'm a little scared that the courthouse might be a target for retaliation. And I work next door to the courthouse in a federal building that's entirely made of glass. So yeah, kind of scary.

I must say though that I hope the jury doesn't decide in favor of the death penalty. I've never been in favor of the death penalty (for a variety of reasons--not going to get into those here, that can be done in another post if anyone's interested) but in this case, I definitely don't think he should get it.

Not that I don't think 9/11 was heinous. If there was ever a crime that called for the death penalty, that's it.

But was Moussaoui really responisble for 9/11?

OK, not going to get into a debate about that either. This post isn't the time or place for that, and quite frankly, my neck and back hurt me and I'm pissy and in a bad mood. So no debating today.

No, my problem with the possibility of Moussaoui getting a death sentence is that it sets him up as a martyr for Islamic extremists. This is exactly what he wants. He didn't get the chance to become a martyr (at least in his own mind) on 9/11 because he was in FBI custody. So he's been going out of his way to make outlandish comments and outbursts in an effort to hopefully fire up the jury and persuade them to sentence him to death. And in doing so, he'll be a martyr.

We shouldn't give him what he wants. We shouldn't allow him to turn this into a political agenda. We shouldn't gratify him that way.

Lock him up in the general population and lose the key. Oh, and he'd probably be killed in prison anyway. But don't sentence him to death by the state. It would only give his cause reason to cheer and rally against.

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 1:13 PM :: 1 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------