Tuesday, July 11, 2006




An Interview with Freya's Bower Author, Bebe Thomas

Welcome to the first installment of my weekly interviews with Freya's Bower authors, each Tuesday. Today I am profiling Bebe Thomas, author of AURORA'S PASSION.

Amanda: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Bebe: I'm Bebe Thomas, a thirty-something writer with a pretty good day job as a corporate trainer. I'm a wife and a step-mom/grandmom. I do some freelance non-fiction writing and editing in addition to writing romance.

I currently reside in Philadelphia, which is actually a quite a nice city, despite the bad press. I love the beach and spend as much time down the shore (Philly-speak for at the beach in New Jersey) as I can in the summer. I have to be very careful, though. I am mostly of Irish descent and burn quite easily.

Hmmm. What else shall I reveal? I have acrylic nails and have big hair. Nah. Just kidding. Well, about the hair, at least.

Amanda: When and how did you start writing?

Bebe: I started writing in the 5th grade after my social studies teacher read my essay on Benjamin Franklin aloud to the class. She positively gushed over it. I wasn't good at sports, music or art, but writing was something I did better than my peers. When I was a junior in high school, my English teacher basically told me I sucked as a writer. And then I went to college and took my first creative writing class. The professor told me how bad it sucked to be a writer, I would have no life, and if I got married, I'd end up divorced. And I thought, "this doesn't sound fun at all!" So began 15 years of writer's block.

But the spark was still there. I was always the person at the office who was asked to write training manuals, business letters, and brochures. Heck, I even wrote my own wedding ceremony.

About 5 years ago, I saw an ad for a writer's workshop at a local high school extension program. I think it was $65 for six weeks. I forced myself to go. I still meet regularly with four of my former classmates. Three of us are now published.

Amanda: Where do you get your inspiration?

Bebe: Most of the time, it's in the shower. Or at Wal-Mart. I'm not even being a smart ass. That's usually where things hit me. But as far as ideas go, they could come from anywhere. I recently went to the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. I thought I would get a ton of ideas from there. You know where the spark hit me? An antique store I found off the beaten path.

Amanda: What are you reading at the moment?

Bebe: Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry. (He's one of my former classmates.) It's very Stephen King-like.

Amanda: What are you working on right now?

Bebe: I'm juggling multiple projects. I am working on a category length novel prequel to Aurora's Passion, my bites release from Freya's Bower. It's set in World War 2 Norway, and it's very dramatic. I'm also working on a chick-lit light paranormal and a contemporary erotic romance novella.

________________________________________________________________

Thanks, Bebe, for being my first victim, ahem, I mean lucky author! :)

Anyway, plagiarism is back in the news, but this time the alleged copycat is one of the people I love to hate the most -- conservative witch Ann Coulter. Yesterday, Coulter's syndicator, Universal Press Syndicate, rejected allegations that she'd lifted material from other sources, saying "There are only so many ways you can rewrite a fact and minimal matching text is not plagiarism."

Very good, UP. You passed Copyright Law 101. Well done. As to whether there actually is an plagiarism, I haven't seen the cited passages in question, but I dislike Coulter, so I thought I'd repeat it here.

And because I didn't mention it yesterday, congratulations to World Cup winners Italy. Having spent time in both France and Italy, my two favorite countries (other than the US), I wasn't sure who to root for, but Zinedine Zidane's bizarre head butt late in the game clinched the victory for the Italians. So now France can whine like the UNC Tar Heels and say that Italy didn't win, that France simply beat itself.

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 5:49 AM :: 7 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------