Wednesday, July 19, 2006



Some Like it Hot

Others like it somewhat hot.

There's a debate going on right now on Romance Divas about heat levels in ebooks. As everyone knows, since the dawn of time, sex sells.

This seems to be particularly true with ebooks. Other than Steven King's famous foray into exclusive ebook content, the erotic market really blazed the trail in e-publishing. Why was that? Probably because NY wasn't publishing really hot romances and the e-realm was the only place to find it. Also, it's a lot easier to go online, give a credit and anonymously get your hot sex fix in the privacy of your own bedroom than it is to go into your local B&N and get it in person.

It's certainly true that those erotica authors who've made the move from epub to print (now that NY has finally caught up) are the super spicy, downright sizzling hot ones.

Several epubs tell you straight out on their guidelines that they want hot, hot, hot and that they only accept maybe one or two "sweet" stories per year because that's not where the market is. And some will accept your story, but will work with you to "spice it up."

I wonder, though, whether in this quest to bring the hottest sex possible, are we sometimes sacrificing the plot and the heart and soul of the story? I've read some excellent red hot erotica, don't get me wrong, but I've also read some that left me downright cold. Yes, they got my pulse racing, but I was just left thoroughly unsatisfied.

OK, maybe I'm a prude, or naive, or something, but I don't want to just read a story where the sex is hot but is the entire point of the story. If you remove the sex and there isn't anything left, then you don't really have a story, in my point of view.

How do you like your romance/erotica?

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 12:27 PM :: 8 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------