Tuesday, August 15, 2006



An Interview with Freya's Bower Author Kis Lee

It's Tuesday, so you know what that means -- time for my next interview with an FB author! This week I'm chatting with Kiss Lee, author of KAYLA FINDS HER WAY.

Amanda: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Kis: I recently turned the big 3-0. I don't feel any different, and I still feel like a 20-something. I grew up in Los Angeles and have been living in Orange County for a year.

I'm pretty boring. I like music, books, and movies, in that order. My ultimate goal is to be able to make enough money to buy a house near the beach. (I have big dreams.)

Amanda: When and how did you begin writing?

Kis: I'm one of those people who always wanted to be a writer. When I grow up, I want to be the next Stephen King. When I was in college, I submitted a few poems here and there. I started to submit short stories at the beginning of 2006. I plan to expand my writing career to include nonfiction articles.

Amanda: Why do you write?

Kis: It's the only talent I have. Maybe that sounds arrogant, but it's true. I'm a writer. Period. No other career or occupation suits me. I tried the white collar world, and I hated it. Now it's time for me to focus on what I really want to do.

Amanda: Where do you get your inspirations?

Kis: I write in several genres, and erotica is the easiest for me. I think I have a dirty mind. :) I've always had a really comfortable attitude about sex, and I like exploring different types of relationships. To be honest, I don't really read traditional romances. I love sex, and I love writing about sex. I write straight from the libido.

Amanda: How did KAYLA FINDS HER WAY get its start?

Kis: I like the idea of cross-genre writing. I wrote a horror/western story that has been published in an anthology. I wanted to do something similar with my Bites book. In the beginning, I intended to write two stories that took place in the Old West. My editor liked one story, but he wasn't feeling the other. I had the same reaction. So I dumped that one, and I wrote one with a more contemporary feel. That story became the title story.

Amanda: What do you like about working with small presses, such as Freya's Bower?

Kis: I like the interaction with my editors. I like the fact that I can give feedback, and a real live person will respond. It's the individual touch that counts.

Amanda: If you were forced to get rid of all books on your bookshelf except for three, what would those be?

Kis: 1) The Stand by Stephen King 2) Fight Club - Chuck Palahnuik 3) The Woman Warrior - Maxine Hong Kingston

Amanda: What are you reading right now?

Kis: I'm on a horror kick right now. I'm re-reading On Writing by Stephen King. I'm going to start reading Headstone City by Tom Piccirilli.

Amanda: What are you working on at the moment?

Kis: I'm taking a break from the sex writing. At the moment, I'm working on an outline for a supernatural horror novel. I recently purchased "Plot and Structure" by James Scott Bell, because a writer/friend recommended it. I'm going to browse the book and start working on that novel. I like stories about blood and violence. (I'm not sure what that says about me.)

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 6:28 AM :: 5 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------