Tuesday, August 01, 2006



An Interview with Freya's Bower Author, Debbie Mumford

Welcome to the latest installment in my series of interviews with Freya's Bower authors. Today I'm chatting with Debbie Mumford, author of GLASS MAGIC and the newly-released SORCHA'S HEART.

Amanda: Tell us something about yourself.

Debbie: Well, let’s see if I can make myself sound interesting. I’m married to my best friend, and have been for longer than I care to mention here. (LOL) We have three wonderful children who have successfully left the nest. Our eldest daughter is married and has given us two beautiful grandchildren (a little boy who will be 3 this month, and a 4-month-old girl).I’m a mother of twins, a quilt artist and teacher, a writer, and an avid reader. My day job is as a technical writer for a land use / architectural firm, though my dream is to be a full-time fiction writer.

Amanda: How and when did you begin writing?

Debbie: I’ve always been interested in writing, but my first calling was motherhood. Yep, it’s true. You can ask my best friend, who’s known me since preschool, my childhood dream was to be a mom. This relates to your question because it meant I didn’t pay attention to my writing muse until my kids left the nest.

Empty nest? Not me! Once the kids flew, my muse grabbed the reins and shouted, “My turn!” Suddenly my life was populated with fictional characters. Because I’d spent my life to that point nurturing children, my first stories were for kids, but that wasn’t quite right.

Three years ago, I settled down and decided to write a novel. Didn’t have a clue what I was doing—and the finished product illustrated that fact beautifully! After universal rejection from publishers and agents—who sent me form letters that gave no clue as to what I’d done wrong—I joined a writing group, began taking classes, and found a critique group that included many published authors. Wow! What an education.

Amanda: Where do you get your inspiration?

Debbie: Everywhere! GLASS MAGIC actually came from a cold winter day when the glass in the front door at my office fogged up. You could actually read a sign that had been removed probably a decade before. The phrase “ghost in the glass” popped into my mind and simmered until I received my prompt from Freya’s Bower for my Bites stories. Then it surfaced with a will of its own!

Amanda: Name your top three favorite books or authors of all time.

Debbie: Are you serious? You want me to limit it to THREE! That’s blasphemy to all the rest.

Okay, I’ll be good now. If you want “of all time” I guess I’ll have to choose those who are foundational to my love of reading, rather than those whose books I look for every time I enter a store. Hmmm. That would have to be Asimov, Heinlein, and Tolkien. (With Clarke, McCaffrey and Anthony running a close second.)

Amanda: Tell us about GLASS MAGIC.

Debbie: As I said, GLASS MAGIC came from a combination of freak weather conditions at my office and my prompt from Freya’s Bower: red. These two stimuli produced Red, a mischievous faery who annoyed the Summer Queen so badly that she cursed him into a pane of Irish glass. Red can’t bother the Summer Queen anymore, but his magic is still sufficient to cause problems for the mortals who come in range. His favorite form of entertainment is evoking strong human emotion, and passion is his favorite flavor!

GLASS MAGIC is composed of two of Red’s escapades: “The Ghost in the Glass” and “Red’s Bower.”

Amanda: You've been very busy. SORCHA'S HEART was just released. Congrats! Could you tell us about that one as well?

Debbie: It's a shapeshifter novella that's getting great reviews. Here's the blurb:

"A legendary relic, a dragon-wrought amulet, the Heart of Fire may be the salvation of her people, and Sorcha is willing to pay any price to obtain it, but when she discovers the price is the loss of her humanity, she learns caution too late. Only a hero can save her, and he isn't human."

Amanda: What do you like about working with Freya's Bower?

Debbie: I’m absolutely blown away by the quality of the cover art, and their editors are top notch. Not to mention the education I’m receiving in marketing and promotion. They’re very involved. I don’t feel like I’ve been abandoned to sink or swim on my own, and since this is my first e-book, I really appreciate that support.

Amanda: What are you reading right now?

Debbie: Since I work full-time and I’m also trying to write enough to establish a body of work, my reading time has suffered. However, I’m working my way through Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files (and loving every book!), and I’ll read anything of Nora Roberts’ or Linda Howard’s that crosses my path. And I always make time for a new installment of Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series, or a Harry Potter novel. After all, one must have priorities!

Amanda: What projects are you working on?

Debbie: I’m feeling very blessed! Freya’s Bower has accepted a paranormal romance novel, SECOND SIGHT. I’m currently working with their fabulous editors to make it the best it can be before it hits the market!

But wait, there’s more! When I finish my revisions, I have a contract for two novels to follow SORCHA’S HEART (again, with Freya’s Bower). So I have plenty to keep me busy and out of trouble for the foreseeable future!

________________________________________________________________

Thanks Debbie for chatting with us today!

Alright kids, it's August 1, which means two things. First, it's the official release date for my fabulous friend Gemma Halliday's fabulous debut novel, SPYING IN HIGH HEELS (from Dorchester's Making It line)! I picked up my copy a few days early, at the RWA Literacy Autographing last Wednesday. I started reading it last night, and let me tell you...I cannot recommend a more fun, flirty mystery to spice up the dog days of summer! Go pick it up--you won't be disappointed!

Also, today I announce the winner of the "Blog for a Beach Bag O' Books" Contest. (OK, that wasn't the name, but I'm in a silly mood today.)

And the winner is...Zeek! Zeek, please email me at amandabrice at myway dot com to give me the address I can send you books to!

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 6:37 AM :: 10 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------