Tuesday, August 08, 2006



An Interview with Freya's Bower Author Canice Brown-Porter

Welcome everyone to the latest installment of my Tuesday interviews with FB authors. Today I'm chatting with Canice Brown-Porter, author of BEYOND THE MAZE.

Amanda: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Canice: I'm married to a wonderful man who truly completes me. I have two adult sons from a previous marriage and my hubby has six adult children. I've always been the artistic type, whether it is drawing, painting, digital design, or writing. I love to landscape, so my yard is fast becoming a tangle of grassy paths. I find this also to be therapeutic when I get stressed out...which is an every day occurance due to hubby's health issues.

Amanda: When and how did you begin writing?

Canice: I've always loved to write and draw. I kept a journal in elementary school, and loved English class whenever the homework involved writing a story. (I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed diagramming sentences.) I wrote my first full-length contemporary romance in high school at the worldly age of 14.

Amanda: Where do you find your inspirations?

Canice: Inspriration generally comes from things I see or hear, unless I'm in a brainstorming mode. I have an actice mind and think of angles all the time. Sometimes a dream will trigger a story.

Amanda: How did BEYOND THE MAZE get its start?

Canice: I was already working on an historical wip which slipped into a time travel on its own. Then, when I sent the sample from that wip to Freya's Bower, they really liked my voice. I had actually stopped for takeout during the thinking stage, bouncing ideas back and forth with my hubby, and ended up stumbling onto a set of skeleton keys that were lying on the ground right at the door of our car. Hence, the heroine finding the skeleton keys in the maze when she tumbles.

Amanda: Most writers are also readers. Who are your favorite authors and why?

Canice: Danielle Steele used to be by favorite many moons ago. I don't think I have one particular author now. I do enjoy reading Johanna Lundsay and Catherine Coulter.

Amanda: Is there a particular genre you prefer the most, whether to read or write?

Canice: I absolutely love to read regency historicals - romance, of course. But, I have a somewhat eclectic taste in books.

Amanda: What are you reading right now?

Canice: Most of my reading right now pertains to the books I review for Romance Divas. I just finished A Taste of Temptation by Gayle Eden, which is an erotic historical published by Linden Bay Romance. I'll start on an erotic BDSM within the next couple of days. I've got to get this review written first.

Amanda: What are you working on right now?

Canice: With all the health issues of my hubby, I'm not doing much of anything right now. However, I am trying to add a few more sensual and/or love scenes in the first novel of my 5-book series, Yesterday's Innocence, so that I can send it back to Liquid Silver Books, who requested the changes. However, I'm now sending it to Freya's Bower for first dibs, as they've just announced a new print line (paperback). I've always envisioned this series in print. I've also got the first 6 chapters of an historical time travel in the works, which I have targets for Cobblestone Press. Plus, I have 2 projects for Freya's Bower in the planning stages. One is for their Goddess Freya line and the other for their upcoming Halloween line.

Amanda: What do you like best about working with small presses, like Freya's Bower?

Canice: I enjoy the personal contact and the one-on-one with not only the editors, but the other authors as well. We become like extended families, which is always nice. The support system is strong, and, there is always the ability to get involved in the decision-making, if changes are encessary. I guess what it comes down to is the "open door" policy. Communication between all parties is just fantastic. That's key to success.
_________________________________________________________________

Thanks, Canice, for another great interview!

Speaking of Freya's Bower, this Friday, FB authors and editors will be in the chat room for a "Sensual Chat." Here are the details:

Freya's Bower Publisher and Author Chat
Date: Friday, August 11, 2006 from 5 pm - 10 pm EST
Type: Live Chat
Location: Freya's Bower chat room
This chat is all about the senses. Be prepared to be titillated. You must be 18 to participate. Just sign in and join us. :) Authors and editors will be popping in and out throughout this time.

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 5:49 AM :: 4 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------