Monday, August 14, 2006



What's My Line?

I review a lot of books for Romance Divas, mostly in the chick lit/women's fiction genres, but also some contemporary romance and the occasional historical.

One of the things I've noticed that set apart most of the books I gave 5 and 4 1/2 kisses ratings to from lower-rated books is the hook.

We always hear the importance of the hook. "Work on the hook." "You need a great hook."

Anyway, I am here today to present to you my recent (as in, from the past 6 months) absolute favorite first line. It's from Alesia Holliday's hilarious recent release, Seven Ways to Lose Your Lover, which I'm currently in the middle of reading and will be writing my review for Romance Divas shortly.

Here it is (and I'm paraphrasing slightly--I don't have the book with me this morning, so I'll fix this when I get home tonight):

"In case you're wondering, desperation smells a lot like purple passion fruit body oil -- fruity and a little rancid."

It definitely sets the tone for what follows.

What are some of your favorite lines?

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 5:31 AM :: 3 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------