Tuesday, September 19, 2006



An Interview With Bella Tyler

It's Tuesday, which means it's time once again for an interview with another Freya's Bower author. Today I'm chatting with Bella Tyler, author of CHARLY'S FIRE.

Amanda: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Bella: I just turned twenty-six and for some reason that really fueled my desire to be NY published. It's taken me awhile to get over my last agent experience and for awhile I didn't think I'd ever try it again, but I'm ready for whatever they throw at me. It can't be worse than the first ex-agent, hehe.

I have three kids so I write when they are busy playing, napping, etc. I tend to keep the laptop open all day, praying for the opportunity to use it.

Amanda: Wow, 26 and three kids. Color me impressed. I don't know how you do it. So, when and how did you begin writing?

Bella: I wrote a lot throughout school, but after graduation I figured it was time to "grow up" so I put the pen away. A few years ago, I was going through a rough patch and I'd been keeping an online journal. A friend emailed me one day after reading it and said my words had made her cry. She wondered if I'd ever considered writing. I laughed, but eventually I did pick up the keyboard.

Amanda: How did CHARLY'S FIRE come about?

Bella: Charly's Fire started as a single short story. It was actually on of my first attempts at writing romance. I wrote it and subbed it to one press, who I actually never received a reply from, and then I kinda shoved it aside and worked on something else. A few months ago, I began to hear a lot about Freya's Bower Bites, so I re-opened the file, wrote a second story and submitted it.

Amanda: I know that Bella Tyler is your erotica pen name and that you've also published under your own name, in the women's fiction field. Is it difficult to make the switch? Which do you prefer writing?

Bella: I actually started writing under the pen name out of necessity. I have a lot of very tightly laced relatives who would be shocked and disturbed to read anything even remotely spicy.

Amanda: Don't we all?

Bella: You know, I really enjoy using a pen name. It gives me a chance to write a bit more freely without having to worry what those people around me will think. I have a few projects I'm working on for each of the names. While I edit material for my real name, I'm working on a new project for Bella.

I enjoy writing under both names. It allows me to write more kinds of material.

Amanda: Definitely interesting to think about. I've thought about using a second pen name if I ever write in another genre. Who knows? So, anyway, where do you find your inspirations?

Bella: Everywhere. There are things that happen in daily life that inspire me. I keep a small notebook in my purse to jot down ideas as they hit me throughout the day.

Amanda: What do you like about working with small presses, like Freya's Bower?

Bella: I love the whole family feel to it. I had an amazing editor with Charly's Fire and I have the most beautiful cover art. There is a lot to be said for feeling comfortable with the people you work with. Freya's Bower has an excellent staff and everyone is very willing to help you be as successful as possible.

Amanda: What are you reading at the moment?

Bella: I have a HUGE TBR pile, full of print and ebooks. Currently I'm reading Enduring Promise by Tempest Knight.

Amanda: Tempest is one of this blog's regular readers, so I know she'll be happy to hear that! What projects are you working on?

Bella: Bella is working on a few romantic comedies. One for a humor anthology and another that I hope to submit to Ellora's Cave. As for my real persona...

__________________________________________________________________

Well, looks like Bella is going to be mysterious! :) I actually do happen to know who her real persona is, but I won't divulge, because I know she's trying her hardest to keep the two personalities separate. :)

So go buy a copy of CHARLY'S FIRE. It's a really great pair of stories! Sexy firemen--what more do you want?

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 6:21 AM :: 11 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------