Tuesday, September 05, 2006



An Interview with Sara Dennis

It's Tuesday, so it's time for an interview with another Freya's Bower author. Today we're chatting with Sara Dennis, who mostly writes for Cobblestone, but who wrote a fantastic Bites piece (EYE OF THE BEHOLDER) for FB.

Amanda: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Sara: Let's see. I'm a thirtysomething, married for eight years to a very supportive and understanding (even if he doesn't always "get" the writing thing) husband. I've lived all over the country, following my military family around and bouncing between houses. I make beaded jewelry, crochet and cross-stitch when I steal a minute or two, and am a pro at distracting myself with the next "Great Idea".

Amanda: How and when did you begin writing?

Sara: I'm an only child, so I always told myself stories. I started writing in jr. high, writing Star Trek novels that will never see the light of day. I moved on to writing scripts and creating characters for popular animated shows in the 80s--fan fiction before I knew what that was!--and started writing original stories and plays in high school.

Amanda: THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER is a futuristic, FORTUNE'S FOOL is contemporary, and THE DRAGON UNDONE deals with shifters. Was it difficult for you to switch between such very different subgenres?

Sara: It's not difficult for me at all. I have a lot of stories in my head that want to be told, and more that pop up all the time. It's easier for me to switch between subgenres than to stick with one. It keeps my mind engaged and I don't get tired of the same old-same old.

Amanda: What is your favorite genre to write? How about to read?

Sara: I read in as many genres as I write in. I started with reading fantasy, and that'll always be a major love of mine, but I love a good romance too. I adore writing both, but no matter where I wander in the genres, there will always been a romance lurking.

Amanda: Who are your favorite authors?

Sara: Also a tough question! Teresa Medeiros, Suzanne Brockmann, Catherine Mann, Karen Templeton, Ingrid Weaver, Gena Showalter are just a few. Sarah Zettel, Sarah Ash, Jacqueline Carey, Carol Berg and Jim Butcher feed some of my more fantastic loves.

Amanda: What are you reading at the moment?

Sara: I actually read pretty slowly, especially since I'm writing so much. I have a huge TBR pile. Right now I'm working my way through Silver's Edge by Anne Kelleher, from Luna.

Amanda: What do you like about working with small presses, such as Freya's Bower?

Sara: I like the author to publisher interaction that you get from a small press. I like knowing that you're not just a number, but that people know your name and something about you. It's nice to have a couple more voices raised in support of your work.

Amanda: What are you working on right now?

Sara: I'm working on a couple of books for Cobblestone Press. One is a contemporary involving a woman's quest to find out about the part of her life she doesn't know, including her father. The other is a paranormal djinn book with prophecies and the end of the world and a hero plunged right into the middle of the chaos.

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 5:45 AM :: 5 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------