Thursday, September 28, 2006



Politics and Dancing

Like raindrops on roses were for Maria Von Trapp, the things cited in my heading are some of my favorite things. I admit it. I'm a politics junkie. I'm totally loving that election season is right around the corner. Bring it on!

And I've been a lifelong dance fan (I've been taking at least some form of dance class, whether ballet, tap, jazz, ballroom, or flamenco consistently for the past 26 years). So the resurgence in dance that's going on right now is right up my alley. Bring it on!

So you'd think I'd love when these two worlds collide. Except I don't. And it has nothing to do with the specific political leanings of the people involved. I'd feel this way if the Democratic Party took up "Dancing with the Stars" as a cause celebre.

But I just don't think that this show should be made into a political battle. It's not a political issue, and shouldn't be. (The exception being, of course, that the first celeb to be booted, Tucker Carlson, is a conservative commentator, but at least he wears his politics on his sleeve...it was all in the open, and even then, he didn't drag it into the show. But I digress...I seem to have a fascination with him, after all.)

What I'm referring to is this...apparently former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay has a new campaign (now that he's not running his own campaign anymore--sorry, couldn't resist it, it was way too easy). When he announced his regisnation from Congress in June, he stated that he wanted to "pursue new opportunities to engage in the important cultural and political battles of our day from an arena outside of the U.S. House of Representatives."

Well, apparently he's officially taken up the important cultural/political battle of "Dancing with the Stars." He sent a mass email to his supporters using them to vote for Sara Evans. From his email:

"Sara Evans has been a strong supporter of the Republican Party and represents good American values in the media. From singing at the 2004 Republican Convention to appearing with candidates in the last several election cycles, we have always been able to count on Sara for her support of the things we all believe in. … One of her opponents on the show is ultra liberal talk show host Jerry Springer. We need to send a message to Hollywood and the media that smut has no place on television by supporting good people like Sara Evans."

Like I said, my distaste for this has nothing to do with that it came from Tom DeLay (OK, maybe just a little bit...I really do not care for the smug ******* at all) . I would feel the same way if any number of leading liberals (take your pick) had sent an en masse email urging supporters to vote for Jerry Springer because "we need to send a message to the Administration that supporting free speech is a hallmark of this great country."

It's a DANCE show, people. Get it? DANCE? As in, the best and/or most entertaining DANCER should win? Liberal or conservative, the politics are not the issue here. The fact of the matter remains that neither Jerry Springer nor Sarah Evans are any good.

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 3:22 PM :: 9 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------