Thursday, November 02, 2006



What's That Smell?

Ahh, early November...the crackle of leaves under your feet, the gusts of wind knocking you over as you walk to work, the campaign workers shoving fliers in your face, the 20-and-30-somethings dressed up for Halloween as unemployed Republican staffers...the traditional wrappings of fall.

What is that smell in the air? Could it be...desperation?

If you're a regular reader of this blog, you probably already know I'm a devout politics junkie. I admit it. I LOVE attack ads. Sick, huh? I seriously LIVE for this time of year.

I love attack ads, because I find them hi-lar-ious, particularly when they come from an incumbent who was expected not only to breeze through the current election, but whose handlers were already looking ahead to the 2008 Presidential race. When said-incumbent starts airing commercials as early as JUNE (and he wasn't even in a primary), it signals that he thinks he might need some extra help.

And when his commercials turn vicious, it signals that he knows he's in trouble.

Ahh, political season. How I do love you.

The new technique these days seems to be micro-targeting, which allows both parties to mine consumer data to determine your political behavior.

Prefer Dr. Pepper over Sprite? You're more likely to vote Republican.
Have a weekly subscription to TV Guide? You're more likely to vote Democratic.
Watch US Open tennis? You're probably a Dem.
Drive an Audi? You're probably a Repub.

I wonder what my consumer habits tell people. I subscribe to both ESPN magazine and Sprts Illustrated (no seriously, the subscriptions are in MY name, not my hubby's), and I frequent espn.com and college basketball chatrooms.

No wonder I get all that spam for penis implants. They think I'm a man!

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 6:52 AM :: 5 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------