Tuesday, November 21, 2006



When's Too Early?

When is it too early to begin playing holiday music? I'm currently listening to a Tchaikovsky CD with music from Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, and The Nutcracker. Actually, most of the CD is NOT holiday-related.

But my coworker just came in and chastised me for listening to Christmas music too early. She says the rules are the same as with trees--day after Thanksgiving. In other words, I need to wait until Friday to play Nutcracker (guess I need to skip over those tracks).

What do you think? Is it too early to play Christmas music? And do you really consider The Nutcracker to be "real Christmas music." I mean, sure, a Christmas party was the setting of the ballet, but are giant fighting mice and magical nutcrackers really all that associated with the birth of Christ? (Let's save the commercialization of Christmas arguments for a different day, however.)

Personally, while I don't think it's appropriate to tell someone who you know isn't Christian "Merry Christmas" (or even someone who you don't know what they celebrate--I'm much more comfortable with a nice, neutral "Happy Holidays"), for whatever reason, I just don't consider The Nutcracker to be necessarily a *Christmas ballet* as opposed to a ballet that's traditionally performed around the holiday season.

Anyway, that's my rant. It's MY office, I can play whatever music I want. And today I want to play The Nutcracker. Of course, this isn't terribly conducive to productivity, as I'm running through choreography in my mind and keep wanting to get up and dance.

Hmmm...maybe I should dig some other CD out instead.

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 10:51 AM :: 13 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------