Tuesday, January 23, 2007



A Conversation with Debbie Mumford

Welcome back to my Interview Marathon. Today we're chatting with Debbie Mumford.

Amanda: Welcome Debbie. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Debbie: I’m a very normal woman. If you met me on the street, you’d never guess my brain was populated with dragons and faeries! *LOL*

My best friend and I married 32 years ago last June. We raised three wonderful children and launched them successfully into the wide world. Our eldest daughter, a married, happily unemployed landscape designer, has blessed us with two beautiful grandchildren (a 3-year-old boy and a 10-month-old girl). Our son (her twin brother) is a talented musician who just returned from his first European tour. Their younger sister is a licensed massage therapist and a successful business woman.

By day, I’m a mild-mannered technical writer, but evenings and weekends, I’m (ta dahhh!) a fiction author! Dedicated to making the world a more interesting place for romance and fantasy readers!

Amanda: How did you get involved with this project, and what made you want to participate?

Debbie: Marci asked if I’d like to contribute a story and I jumped at the chance to have my work in the same volume with the other fabulous authors in this anthology.

I’m a very lucky woman. My life has not been touched by domestic violence, but I have daughters, and it’s important to me to know that there are organizations out there which could help my girls if they ever found themselves in need. Hopefully my daughters will never need the services of a shelter like the one this book will benefit, but other women’s daughters are in desperate need. I’m delighted to be able to do my small part to help.

Amanda: Your story is titled "Red's Merry Mischief."

Debbie: Red is a mischievous Faery who has been condemned to imprisonment within a pane of Irish glass. “Red’s Merry Mischief” is the story of the misbehavior that landed him inside that glass. It’s lacking the traditional romance Happily Ever After, but that’s because it’s a prequel to the GLASS MAGIC stories. Can’t give Red a HEA if he’s going to cause trouble in GLASS MAGIC! *LOL*

Amanda: What a clever idea, tying your Dreams & Desires story to your Bites stories. :) Can you tell us what GLASS MAGIC is about?

Debbie: In GLASS MAGIC (a Freya’s Bower Bite – two related short stories), Red causes trouble for two young couples that come in contact with his pane of glass. He can’t free himself, and he can’t influence any of the Fae, but his magick is still strong enough to wreak havoc in the mortal world. After all these centuries in a pane of glass, Red is ready for a little entertainment, and messing with the sex drive of mortals is one of his favorite types of fun.

Amanda: The cover for your upcoming release, SECOND SIGHT, is beautiful! Can you tell us about that one?

Debbie: Oh, I am SO proud of that cover! I’m biased, of course, but I think Freya’s Bower has some of the finest cover art in the business. Here’s a blurb about the story that goes with that stunning piece of art:

Jenny Murdoch is blessed (or cursed) with Second Sight. Unfortunately, a traumatic
experience during her pre-teen years causes her to stifle her psychic abilities. She sees
her gift as a tiger waiting to attack and destroy her sanity. SECOND SIGHT is the tale of
how a handsome parapsychologist, a sadistic ritual murder and a book of runes force
Jenny to accept her tiger and learn to trust her innate abilities.

Amanda: Sounds intriguing. So what's next for Debbie Mumford?

Debbie: As soon as SECOND SIGHT releases, I’ll return to the world of SORCHA’S HEART and my shapeshifting dragons. I’m planning to write three additional novels set in that world to tell the story of Sorcha and Caedyrn’s six offspring. I wrote the first (very rough!) draft of Aislinn and Taran’s tale during November and have been letting it smolder while I polish SECOND SIGHT.

When I finish the three SORCHA’S CHILDREN novels, I’m thinking of trying my hand at a mystery series with a rough-edged psychic investigator. Woot! Something new and different!

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 9:04 AM :: 4 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------