Saturday, January 20, 2007



A Conversation with Jackie Kessler

Welcome to Day 8 of my Dreams & Desires marathon Interview Party! Today I'm chatting with Jackie Kessler, whose debut novel, HELL'S BELLES, was just released a little over 2 weeks ago!

Amanda: Welcome Jackie. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Jackie: I'm five feet on a tall day, which means I'm doomed to be perpetually cute. This was a tragedy when I was a child (my cheeks were pinched far too many times for me to count), and pure hell when I was dating (who wants to be cute? I wanted to be SEXY), but now that I'm 36, happily married, and the mother of two young children, the doom doesn't seem all that bad. Now my hope is to have some hot guy call me a MILF. (Wait, did I really just write that?)

Amanda: LOL! Your story in the anthology is titled "To The Core." What is it about?

Jackie: Six thousand words. (I crack myself up.) It's the story of a young woman (a medium/magician called a Zintal) who decides to be true to herself rather than be forced into an arranged marriage...and the price of that choice.

Amanda: Sounds interesting. How did you get involved with this project and what persuaded you to participate?

Jackie: I've worked closely with Marci, the editor of FREYA'S BOWER, when I was the fantasy and science fiction editor for WILD CHILD PUBLISHING. When she approached me about the anthology and told me how all net proceeds would go to a women's shelter, I was eager to participate.

Amanda: Your recently released debut novel, HELL'S BELLES, looks excellent! Every time I go to a hockey game and hear that song, it reminds me that I need to pick up a copy! Can you explain to my readers what it's about?

Jackie: HAH! Every time I hear AC/DC on the radio, I crank the volume. HELL'S BELLES is about a succubus who runs away from Hell, hides on Earth as an exotic dancer, and learns the hard way about true love. Sex, strippers, and demons -- what's not to like? :-)

Amanda: Who are your favorite authors and who has inspired your writing the most?

Jackie: My absolute favorite authors are Neil Gaiman and Christopher Moore; if I had a favorite book, it would be Moore's LAMB. I'm a big fan of comic book authors Garth Ennis (HELLBLAZER, PREACHER) and Matt Wagner (MAGE, GRENDEL).Toni Morrison's BELOVED left a lasting impression on me. And I'll always hold a special place in my heart for JRR Tolkien's LORD OF THE RINGS. And then there's Shakespeare, Dante, Poe...boy, the list goes on.

Amanda: What's next for Jackie Kessler?

Jackie: The next two books in the HELL ON EARTH series: THE ROAD TO HELL (November2007) and HOTTER THAN HELL (2008), as well as a novella, HELL TO PAY, which will appear in a Kensington anthology in early 2008. I also have a currentwork in progress called SCHMOOZING THE ALMIGHTY. And a short story, "Red," will be published in the April 2007 issue of REALMS OF FANTASY. Finally, Ihave a YA (young adult) urban fantasy novel on submission right now. Wish me luck!


I've also got a YA novel on submission right now, so believe me, I definitely wish you luck!!! Thanks for stopping by, Jackie! Tomorrow I'll chat with Susan Lyons, and then on Monday, with Richelle Mead.

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 12:59 PM :: 7 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------