Sunday, January 21, 2007



A Conversation with Susan Lyons

It's a snowy day here in good ol' Washington, DC, so what better than to curl up with a mug of hot chocolate and a steamy paperback...perhaps by Susan Lyons, today's Interview Marathon author.

Amanda: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Susan: My books are published by Kensington Aphrodisia; they're sexy romances that are intense, passionate, heartwarming and fun. My short stories have been published internationally in women's and story magazines. Reviewers have said that my "multilayered characters have a vibrant emotional impact" (Romance Reviews Today). I grew up in Victoria, British Columbia and now live in Vancouver, where many of my stories are set. I have degrees in law and psychology, and have had a variety of careers, including perennial student, grad school dropout, job creation project administrator, computer consultant, and legal editor. Fiction writer is by far my favorite. Writing gives me a perfect outlet to demonstrate my belief in the power of love, friendship and a sense of humor. My website is at www.susanlyons.ca. I'm involved in lots of writing groups and loops, and am Chair for a writing mini-conference in Vancouver in May. It's called "Write On, Vancouver," and features writer and writing teacher Nancy Kress, editors from Harlequin and Bantam, and lots of other good people and stuff! The website is at www.writeonvancouver.com.

Amanda: Your story in the charity anthology is titled "Taking the Alleys." What it is about?

Susan: It's the story of a young man who has met the girl of his dreams. But he's just an average Joe and she's exciting and awesome. Does he stand a chance? All he knows is, he has to find out. So, he's driven all day and all night, and now he's nearing her place...

Amanda: How did you get involved with this project and what persuaded you to participate?

Susan: I was invited, and was thrilled to participate. The cause is so worthwhile and it's wonderful to be in an anthology with so many other talented writers.

Amanda: Your story in the anthology is very sweet, but you're known for your sexy, hot reads. Which do you prefer?

Susan: I like writing the whole range of women's fiction. All my stories (short stories, novellas, novels) are about relationships, character growth and the power of love. Sometimes the characters cry out for a very sexy romance and sometimes they're a little more shy. In terms of length, novels certainly let me explore characters in more depth, which is both challenging and rewarding. Short stories are a fun break, plus the smaller scope lets me examine moments in people's lives, points of transition, things that are important but not meaty enough to form the backbone of a book.

Amanda: What is your favorite book that you've written? Can you describe it?

Susan: Tough question. I love "Champagne Rules" because it was the first that sold, and I really like that it's an interracial couple who don't see major problems with having that kind of relationship. I love "Hot in Here" because my heroine, Jenny, is so feisty and confused and such a mix of "out there" versus inhibited. Her dilemma of trying to honour her old-world family whilestill living a new-world life is so typical of many young women in Vancouver today. And then there's an unsold manuscript that's a Mary Stewart style of romantic suspense set in Crete that I totally love. Sure hope it sells one day!

Amanda: What's next for Susan Lyons?

Susan: In February, I have a novella called "Hot Down Under" in "The Firefighter" from Kensington Aphrodisia. When Tash McKendrick grudgingly agrees to babysit her grandmother on her trip to Australia, little does she realize that granny has romance on her mind - for both of them! But Tash is more than willing to buy in, when she meets sexy firefighter, Mick Donovan. Also in February, in addition to my story in "Dreams & Desires," I have a Valentine's story ("Lady in Red") at The Wild Rose Press. Then in September comes book 3 of the Awesome Foursome series from Aphrodisia (following after "Champagne Rules" and "Hot in Here"). It's called "Touch Me," and is about what happens when Ann, a stressed-out lawyer, meets Adonis, a laid-back massage therapist. After that there's book 4, "Lights Off."

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 10:55 AM :: 18 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------