Friday, January 19, 2007



A Conversation With Zinnia Hope

Day 7 of my Interview Marathon brings us Zinnia Hope.

Amanda: Welcome, Z. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Zinnia: I'm a country bumpkin with kid craziness going on 24/7 in my house. I've been married to my hubby for two years now so we have a blended family with a new addition. Our house is full of boys, both his and mine and ours--yet another boy, lol. Not to mention all their friends and cousins who are here half the time!

I write a little bit of everything with professional magazine sales under my belt. I write steamy eBooks to pass the time between print projects. My blog is a source of amusement for many readers. It's the chicken stories that keep them reading, lol.

Amanda: Your story in the anthology is titled "A Road of Misgivings." What is it about?

Zinnia: The main character is traveling across state to pick up his wife from a business trip. His brother and daughter are with him for company, but the van breaks down. It's a long walk along a deserted mountain road to find a house with a phone. On the way, the character worries about his marriage and argues with his brother about marriage. As His daughter is nearly hit by a coal bucket racing along the road. The combination of things gives the character a new perspective on family, love, and marriage.

Amanda: I absolutely loved your Freya's Bower debut, FREE SPIRITS. It was so beautifully written and the message haunted me for days. I haven't read your latest, CONSPIRACY OF ANGELS, yet, but I'm going to have to rectify that, because it looks fantastic. Can you tell us what it's about?

Zinnia: I'm so pleased that Free Spirits has stuck with you for so long!

As for Conspiracy of Angels, it's an odd combination of things. The main character, Elizabeth, is a bit of a flake, but with good reason. She's been raised by a Bible beating grandma and a mother who longed for a singing career. Elizabeth and the son of the local minister fall in love, but the minister forces her from town when he finds out she's pregnant with his grandchild. Seven years later, she returns to put the pieces of her life back together. This novel is full of small town life, the secrets that lurk in everyone's closets, some meddling angels, and a climactic scene that blows the lid off the church community. And yes, a good romance is the main plot.

Amanda: What author has inspired you the most?

Zinnia: Alice Hoffman. I'll never forget how her novel Seventh Heaven inspired me to reach for a career as an author of magic realism novels. I adore her novel Practical Magic too, as well as the movie. Erotic romances are where the money is right now, but magic realism novels are my main love.

Amanda: What's next for Zinnia Hope?

Zinnia: I have two novels that I'm working on. One is a paranormal romance and the other is a dark fantasy. I have a magic realism novel that's half finished too, but it's so complex that I have to take long breaks from it to sort my thoughts and ideas. Once my romance and dark fantasy novels are completed, one will be what I peddle as I search for my next literary agent and the other will be shopped around. I'm hoping to have them done by March since planting season is right around the corner. We raiseseveral large garden plots and sell the excess vegetables we don't use to feed the crew under our roof. Of course, there is the managerie of short stories I write and sell to magazines that keep me busy too.

Posted by Amanda Brice :: 5:51 AM :: 5 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------