Friday, May 18, 2007



Moving Truly Sucks

I am exhausted today. Truly exhausted. I just spent the last two days away from work, schlepping boxes and bags from the apartment to the house. Oh, and shredding paper, throwing things away, and making more trips to Goodwill to donate things than I can even count.

And every part of my body is sore now. At least there's a whirlpool tub in my new master bath...I'm sure I'll be puting that to good use.

But we now have EVERYTHING out. We've been moving things over slowly for about the past month, but now finally it's done.

Of course, the decorating scheme of the house is now "early box" because you can barely walk through the living room without tripping over boxes. It's horrendous.

Anyway, I got a later start on moving on Wednesday than I'd planned. Why? Well, I locked myself out of the house, but trapped inside the screen porch.

Yeah, only I could manage that. I'd been leaving the bottom lock (on the doorknob) unlocked, and just using the deadbolt on the door from our living room to the screen porch. So I assumed I could go out there to break down cardboard boxes with no problem.

Um, no. Mr. Brice had locked the botoom lock without telling me, so the door locked behind me. Needless to say, he'd already left for work and I didn't have my keys or a cell phone out there. And there's no door from the screen porch to the backyard. If you're stuck out there, you're also trapped inside the porch.

I had no idea what I was going to do. Finally after 15 minutes, a woman came by, walking her dog. I called out to her "Excuse me! Can you help me? Do you have a cell phone?" I'm sure she thought I was nuts.

She didn't have a cell phone, but she offered to knock on some of my neighbors' doors. Of course, nobody was home. Grrr...

So she left.

About 5 minutes later, one of my neighbors pulled up across the street, so I yelled at the top of my lungs so he could hear me. He looked all around him, not able to figure out where his name was coming from. Finally, he strains his eyes to see a shadowy figure on a screen porch.

He walked over, laughted hysterically after I told him my predicament, and then dug his cell phone out so I could call Mr. Brice at work and ask him to come home. Fortunately the new house is just a 15 minute walk from the office, so about 20 minutes later, Mr. Brice came and let me out.

Needless to say, he was not amused.

Labels: ,


Posted by Amanda Brice :: 6:50 AM :: 10 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------